Friday, March 5, 2010

Review of To Hell and Back - Lilith Saintcrow



This novel is a neat paranormal adventure whose protagonist is a woman out for vengeance against Lucifer in a semi-Noir, semi-cyberpunk, semi-urban fantasy, semi-horror world. And somehow, Lilith makes it work!

Yes, it's an urban fantasy with a paranormal romance (between a treacherous demon and a kick-ass Necromance heroine) but it has demons in it rather than vampires, begins with Lucifer committing a rather taboo act that Dante then represses and barely acknowledges, and Dante even worships my favorite goddess of destruction, dear old Sekhmet, for a bit. I'm not normally a fan of urban fantasy of the kick-arse heroine kind, but all in all, Saintcrow's novel has plenty of interesting elements to keep my attention.

She also managed the difficult task of having the last novel in the series be accessible to people new to the series. I haven't read any other book in the series but I could easily keep up with the character histories and interactions without ever having to deal with lengthy exposition. If anything, the little mentions here and there of things that had happened books ago just made me more interested in reading previous titles.

Also, did I mention there were demons?

Scrutinize it for the magical descriptions.

3.5 / 5

No comments:

Post a Comment